The most anticipated time of the year for Cagayan de Oro City is its City fiesta annually held on the 28th of August, feast day of its patron saint – Saint Augustine. However, it’s not just a one day celebration for the Kagay-anons but a whole month of festivities. Since its already August, the city is now getting busier with various ongoing events, as well as upcoming exciting activities ahead. So don’t be left out. You need to be abreast with the events you can participate in or watch, and one of the first things to do is to keep in mind the calendar of activities for the 2016 Higalaay Festival.
2016 Higalaay Festival Schedule of Events
For the benefit of the local and international tourists who will be visiting the city of Golden Friendship, Higalaay in local term is Friendship. Therefore, the event is called Friendship Festival, which the Kagay-anons are known for. So make and meet friends as you join and enjoy the Higalaay Festival celebration this year. Here are the events for the month-long celebration of Cagayan de Oro city fiesta.
- Augst 1 – 3: Garden Show and Agricultural Fair at Gaston Park
- August 4- 6: Mindanao Fashion Summit at Lim Ket Kai Center rotunda
- August 13: Miss Cagayan de Oro Coronation Night, 7pm at Lim Ket Kai Center Atrium
- August 17 – 19: Kumbira – A Culinary Festival at Lim Ket Kai Center Atrium
- August 19 – 28: Kahimuan Trade Fair
- August 20 – 21: Annual Horse Show/ Cowboy Festival at PN Roa Property
- August 20: CDO Carnival Parade at Centrio Mall as the starting and finishing points
- August 21: Kagay-an Marathon Festival from Velez-Luna Streets to DiviSoria area
- August 27: Higalaay Parade of Floats, 7am starting from Rodelsa Circle to Lim Ket Kai Center
- August 27: Fireworks Display, 8pm
- August 28: Religious Procession, 4am at St. Augustine Cathedral
- August 28: Pyro Musical Competition, SM CDO, upper Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City
Among these events, the Higalaay Parade of Floats is not to be missed. Take part of this parade and you will surely feel the energy and awesome festivity experience in the parade of colors, as the Kagay-anons showcase their utmost creativity in float design and presentation. The resounding music of drums and bugles across the city streets will further make your festival experience worth remembering for a lifetime.
Also not to be missed is the musical pyro competition held every year at SM CDO at the uptown. Several participants from other cities will be coming over just to join the competition for the pyrotechnics that will light up the city at night. And if shopping is your craze, SM will also hold its annual 3-day Sale on August 19 to 21. Apparently, Centrio Mall, Lim Ket Kai Mall, and Gaisano Mall will have their own sale days, as well, during the festival period.